On Saturday, January 25 the Detroit Branch NAACP and UAW Ford reconvened the Voices for Action for the release of the Executive Summary from the forums held last June during the 50th Anniversary Commemorative Walk celebration. In addition to the findings being released there was a special panel discussion that dealt with the recent comments made by Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson’s disparaging comments about Detroit in The New Yorker. The panel, “In the Tradition of Dr. King – Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?” was moderated by Devin Scillian, anchor for WDIV Channel 4. The panel featured:
- Nolan Finley, Editor Page Editor, Detroit News
- Honorable Brenda Jones, City Council President, City of Detroit
- Brenda Lawrence, Mayor, City of Southfield
- Rochelle Riley, Columnist, Detroit Free Press
- Shirley Stancato, President & CEO, New Detroit
- Bankole Thompson, Senior Editor, Michigan Chronicle
In addition to the report being released, and the panel discussion, closing remarks were also brought by Detroit’s Mayor Duggan. Mayor Duggan addressed what he termed the “inequality of opportunity” residents in the City of Detroit face and his plans to combat the issues plaguing Detroiters.