September 20-22, 2013 the Michigan State Conference hosted its 77th Annual State Convention with the theme, “We Shall Not Be Moved.” The convention was hosted in Kalamazoo, MI by the Kalamazoo Branch NAACP. As members of the NAACP from all branches gathered, they discussed critical issues in the community and the state of Michigan.
Events throughout the weekend included a public mass meeting with Rev. Nelson B. Rivers, the VP of Strategic Relations for the National NAACP, a Youth & College luncheon key noted by Brandon Jessup, Chairman of Michigan Forward Urban Affairs Group, and workshops for the Affordable Care Act, Voter Empowerment and Civic Engagement, and Environmental Justice and Protection. The weekend culminated with the Freedom Awards Dinner key noted by Rev. Dr. William Barber II, President of the North Carolina State Conference NAACP and leader of the Moral Mondays’ movement.
Additionally, at the State Convention new leaders were elected to office. The officers for the MI State Conference NAACP are below:
MI State Conference NAACP
- President, Yvonne White (Detroit)
- 1st Vice President, Jeanette Henegan (Lenawee County)
- 2nd Vice President, General Holiefield (SW Detroit)
- 3rd Vice President, Frances Gilcreast (Flint)
- 4th Vice Presidnet, Robert Dunklin (Albion)
- Treasurer, Katie Riley (Detroit)
- Secretary, Juanita Taylor (Port Huron)
MI State Conference NAACP Youth & College Division
- President, Kayla Jones (Grand Valley State University)
- 1st Vice President, Dorthea Thomas (Eastern MI University)
- 2nd Vice President, Darnell Coleman (Grand Valley State University)
- Secretary, Rebecca Williams (Grand Valley State University)
- Treasurer, Myles Long (Detroit NAACP Youth Council)
The Detroit Branch NAACP would like to congratulate all of the newly installed officers, and the MI State Conference NAACP on a powerful State Convention.