ACT-SO is a yearlong scholastic enrichment program where participants flex the most important muscle – the “mind.” Just as an athlete trains before competition, so must the ACT-SO participant with coaches and mentors in preparing for the local competition.
Local NAACP chapters hold programs across the country for students in grades 9-12 in 32 categories that include the sciences, music, and drama to name a few. All gold medal winners from the local competition qualify to compete with other local winners at the National NAACP’s ACT-SO Competition, which is held apart of the National NAACP’s Annual Convention.
NEW THIS YEAR!!!
THE DETROIT BRANCH NAACP AND DETROIT NAACP YOUTH COUNCIL ACT-SO COMPETITIONS WILL TAKE PLACE ON THE
SAME DAY SATURDAY APRIL 27!
- Interested students who would like to compete in the Detroit Branch NAACP’ and Detroit NAACP Youth Council’s local ACT-SO Competition must submit an application to receive registration time and contestant number.
- Students must also download the appropriate category guidelines for details on what is expected for their competition entry(ies). The guidelines provide details on how the judges will award points. STEM competitors must download the guidelines and Guide for Presenting ACT-SO Science Projects.
- Students seeking to compete in the following categories must submit their competition pieces by the application deadlines as well:
Poetry Written — Poem
- Performing Arts
Poetry Performance — Poem
- Culinary Arts is only open to Juniors and Seniors in a Culinary Arts Program.
Applications and Competition Pieces Must Be Submitted Via Mail by April 22 To:
Detroit Branch NAACP
Attn: LaToya Henry
8220 Second Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202
Applications Only (DO NOT FAX COMPETITION PIECES)
(313) 871-7745 — Fax
Application Due: Monday, April 22, 2019
Competition Date: Saturday, April 27, 2019
Culinary Competition Date:Sunday, April 28, 2019
Categories and Category Guidelines
- Computer Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Medicine & Health
- Original Essay
- Poetry — Written
- Short Story
- Dance: Ballet
- Dance: Contemporary
- Dance: Modern
- Dance: Traditional
- Music Composition
- Music Instrumental Classical
- Music Instrumental Contemporary
- Music Vocal Classical
- Music Vocal Contemporary
- Poetry — Performance