ACT-SO is a yearlong scholastic enrichment program where participants flex the most important muscle – the “mind.” Just as an athlete trains before competition, so must the ACT-SO participant with coaches and mentors in preparing for the local competition.
Local NAACP chapters hold programs across the country for students in grades 9-12 in 32 categories that include the sciences, music, and drama to name a few. All gold medal winners from the local competition qualify to compete with other local winners at the National NAACP’s ACT-SO Competition, which is held apart of the National NAACP’s Annual Convention.
- Interested students who would like to compete in either the Detroit Branch NAACP’s or Detroit NAACP Youth Council’s local ACT-SO Competition must download the appropriate student application below.
- Students must also download the appropriate category guidelines for details on what is expected for their competition entry(ies). The guidelines provide details on how the judges will award points. STEM competitors must download the guidelines and Guide for Presenting ACT-SO Science Projects.
- Students seeking to compete in the following categories must submit their competition pieces by the application deadlines as well:
- Business Plan
Poem — Poetry Written
- Performing Arts
- Students can only compete in either the Detroit Branch NAACP’s or Detroit NAACP Youth Council’s ACT-SO Competition.
- Culinary Arts is only open to Juniors and Seniors in a Culinary Arts Program. There will only be one local Culinary Arts Competition!
Applications and Competition Pieces Must Be Submitted Via Mail To:
Detroit Branch NAACP
Attn: LaToya Henry
8220 Second Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202
Applications Only (DO NOT FAX COMPETITION PIECES)
(313) 871-7745 — fax
Detroit Branch NAACP ACT-SO Competition
Application Due: Monday, April 23, 2018
Competition Date: Saturday, April 28, 2018
Culinary Competition Date: Saturday, May 19, 2018
Categories and Category Guidelines
- Computer Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Medicine & Health
- Original Essay
- Poetry — Written
- Short Story
- Dance: Ballet
- Dance: Contemporary
- Dance: Modern
- Dance: Traditional
- Music Composition
- Music Instrumental Classical
- Music Instrumental Contemporary
- Music Vocal Classical
- Music Vocal Contemporary
- Poetry — Performance